To export figures in Matlab to Illustrator, do the following:
- Select your figure. Now, choose File menu, Save As...
- Save the file as an .eps file (encapsulated postscript file)
- In Illustrator, you can open this .eps file
- The objects in the figure are likely to be "grouped". If this is not what you want, select the objects and choose Ungroup from the Object menu.
- The various parts of the figure are further likely to be organized into structures that you may or may not want. The 3 structure types that are common are:
- Clipping mask (you can release this by selecting the objects that are collected and choosing Object menu, Clipping mask submenu, Release Clipping Mask).
- Compound path (you can release this by selecting the objects that are collected and choosing Object menu, Compound path submenu, Release Compound Path).
- Grouping (you can release items in a group by choosing Object menu, Ungroup).